Thursday, March 4, 2010


Breakin’ in to Show Business!
Jerry Esten

Starting out:

I had been retired for a number of years and saw an ad on Craig’s List. It was just extra work. Sounded like fun and it was close. The Eisner Medical Center. Yep, that Eisner.

Upon my arrival lots of young actors or would be actors gathered around me, thinking this old dude must know a lot about the business of acting. I was asked how long I’d been doing it? I asked. “What time is it now?” The young folks were mostly under 20.

The director took one look at me and said, “You are my Doctor!” He had little choice considering how young the group was.

It was a fun group and they fed us well. The story was about illegal aliens. Much of the cast had Mexican backgrounds. The good food we had was Mexican food! The Film was called "El Papel."

I did very little and the film never reached fruition, nor was anyone ever paid! No matter, the bug had bitten me.

I am blessed with abundant confidence, why I have no idea! Hell, I was a high School drop out long before it became so popular!
I found a few websites where you could submit for roles that you were suited for.
No it’s not free, but well worth the $65.00 to $100.00 bucks a year.

One of the sites has a forum where I could ask questions! Thirty months later I now answer a few questions for “new” actors.
The various union rules are a labyrinth to wade through. Much is still a mystery to me.
Non union (NU) is readily available.
I did enroll in classes and learned a lot about acting. One can easily spend thousands of dollars on studying. The topics are vast, from actually performing to scene study, Improv and the many “Methods.” My teacher even made us all sing. I am awful as were most of the class. I did prepare; so I’d talk-sing ala Rex Harrison. I think I got “Chattanooga Choo Choo” down pretty well. See? Her device made me prepare! Preparation is a key!
She never asked us to sing again!

If a newcomer needs to make a living it can be tough. Having a job where the employer is flexible and allows you to go to auditions is a must.




Auditions:

I do get more than my share. This town is filled with beautiful young guys ‘n girls. As a senior character actor I may have an advantage. There are, however, many of my type around!
Auditions can be a learning process. I do suggest you take classes! They are all over the place. They usually run $400.00 to $600.00 for a mere four sessions. You can try a Community College too. They cost a lot less and can be a good place to start.

Extra or Background work:

Many are content to BG work. It’s easy and the food is good. The good thing about BG work is one will see how it is on the set. You can also learn from others there. You will have plenty of time to chat.
I did BG for “Gray’s Anatomy” I was never used! I hung out and ate for 16 hours! Yes, You heard it right. Never again. I was lucky; home was only 3 minutes away. If it’s a union show you may get a SAG voucher, good. Three of them will make you eligible for SAG. Extras have been referred to as “Furniture that eats.” Where would movies be with out them?


Your Resume and head shot:
You need them both. You will present them at every audition or electronic submission.
More about the last later

Headshots can cost as little as $300.00 to as much as $600.00.
One usually gets what they paid for. Do a search for photographers. Meet with them before the shoot.
You may find there is no compatibility or even worse a creep that will hit on women.
You can see their work on their web sites.
Your resume should be stapled to the back of your headshot. The format for your resume is in many of the books and courses mentioned here, as well as the Internet

Electronic submissions:
There are many acting sites as mentioned earlier. Try Actors Access, and LA Casting.
You can see the gigs that are offered and submit electronically. It’s easy. The prospective Director and associates will see your headshot and resume.
You won’t get many responses until your resume reflects your experience. Also submit to roles you are suited for! If you are 80 don’t submit for a handsome young leading man.

Scams:
There are hundreds out there, maybe even thousands!
A few tips. If they ask for money, forget it.
If they want to take your photos for a fee or even refer you to a photographer, forget it.
Some are very clever and very well presented.

There are very legitimate offers too. Folks like Bob Fraser who offers you CD courses covering a myriad of topics. No, it’s not cheap but can be very worthwhile.
Bonnie Gillespie has a number of books on the market. All are excellent. I’d have been lost without them. You may reach her here. http://cricketfeet.com/
Bonnie has a column as well. http://more.showfax.com/columns/avoice

Auditions:
You get a phone call or e-mail from a CD (Casting Director.) He or she asks you to come in and read for them. They may offer you “Sides” the lines you will be reading.
Prepare as much as you can. Understand the scene and the character.
You will wait your turn at the audition. You can be, as I was, in a room full of remarkably beautiful young women. Oh how I wish I were younger!
The auditors may be the Director, Writer and at times even the CD.

I did one recently and there was nothing but lovely girls there and I had to read lines I’d never utter. I seemed to be the only one who was embarrassed.
I did fit the role and got the part.
You will do dozens of auditions to get one! It can be disheartening. It is never personal so don’t despair.
One CD who has a few wonderful books out there said that 90% of the time it’s the “look” that gets the role. She is the aforementioned Bonnie Gillespie. Her books will save you lots of time and grief!

Student Films:
A great place to start. I am lucky; in this town we have USC, UCLA and many more that have excellent Theatre Arts Departments. If you are young, who knows? You may be working for the next Steven Speilberg! A USC Graduate.
I say young because as a senior Actor I need to succeed NOW!
These films are a learning process and some are very good. A graduate Thesis is usually a lot better target to shoot for.
You get NO PAY usually, but food and a “Reel”. A reel is a copy of the film. You can use this in compiling your own reel. You can submit this to filmmakers electronically too.
A tip: I made my own contract for the students to commit to.
Why? Because students can be notoriously unreliable in delivering your promised copy.
Since my homemade contract I have had no problem.

Money:

There isn’t much. Don’t quit your day job!
Once you are in AFTRA and or, SAG you may do a lot better. One must qualify for those unions.
There are many different ways to do that. Both have an initiation fee, not cheap. As much as 2400.00.
You can find detailed information on SAG and AFTRA on the Internet.

Your location:

You don’t have to be in Hollywood to fulfill your dream. Many cities are a hot bed for films. New York, Miami,Toronto,Vancouver B.C. to name a few.
I have an actor pal in Cincinnati and he works all the time.
Of course, Los Angeles is the place!

I hope I have enlightened you enough that you will do the research and perhaps discover a whole new career.
Jerry Esten kayak4evr@aol.com

Here is a commercial I did a few months ago. Hope you like.   
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKstlH6GhE
Here is my very first film.  had many auditions until I got this one.  I asked felix how many submitted?  he replied. "You don't wanna know!"   http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1726963/geriatric_hat_trick/
You will have to watch a short commercial first.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you had a smile or two from this.
    Do understand that there are hundreds of books on this topic. I barely scratched the surface.
    This was requested and written for a boyhood pal.

    Phil is publishing a magazine
    Thanks

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comments are working now Jerry. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete